All Collections
Conveyancing 101
What's the difference between the lender and the solicitor?
What's the difference between the lender and the solicitor?

Who can help with what?

Alison avatar
Written by Alison
Updated over a week ago

Your lender is who will lend you the required amount to purchase the property.

Your solicitor will represent you when it's time to start the legal aspect of the property purchase. The solicitor will specialise in conveyancing, and they are called a conveyancer.

Each party in the process (buyer, seller ((or builder if it's a new build)) & lender) will be represented by a conveyancing solicitor (conveyancer).

Your conveyancer may be able to represent all parties involved in the process, but you would need to check with them about this.

Below is a list of the different roles that lenders and solicitors do, so you know who to talk to about what:



Legal aspects of purchasing a home.

Loan amount.

Questions about stamp duty.

Updates about the application process.

Updates on how the conveyancing is progressing & if there is anything holding it up.

Any changes in your personal circumstances.

Anything related to Land Registry.

Mortgage advice (if you aren't going through a broker).

Anything related to the searches they need to carry out.

Anything that may prevent the lender from lending to you.

Questions about documents from the sellers solicitor.

Offer conditions.

Any queries raised by the seller's solicitor.

Property valuations.

Anything related to the conveyancing process.

Offer extensions.

Questions about a solicitor representing all parties.

Confirmation if they can lend to you.

Questions about the cost of conveyancing

Their initial interest rates.

Your mortgage term.

Your repayments.

To get started with a Gen H mortgage, you can complete our affordability calculator here. This will give you an idea of how much we could potentially lend to you (subject to a full application).

Did this answer your question?